My Terrapin Tank Reaches 30°C in Summer — Here’s What I Do
In summer, one of those things is water temperature.
I keep four terrapins together in a large indoor tank, and when the weather gets hot, the water gets warmer than I expected.
During most of the warmer months, the water temperature in my tank stays around 28–29°C (82–84°F).
But during the hottest part of summer, it can reach 29–30°C (84–86°F).
And yes — that’s even with a fan running.
| My terrapin setup at home. During the hottest part of summer, I run the fan above the tank to move air across the water surface. |
Summer Made Me Pay Attention to Water Temperature
When I first started keeping terrapins, I worried more about things like food, filtration, and giving them somewhere to rest and bask.
Water temperature seemed like one of the easier things.
Then summer arrived.
As the room became hotter, I started seeing the thermometer climb to 28°C, 29°C, and sometimes close to 30°C.
That was when checking the thermometer became part of my normal routine.
I didn't want to rely on how the water felt with my hand. I wanted to know what was actually happening inside the tank.
| Several of my terrapins gathering together. They share the same tank, but their personalities and daily habits can be surprisingly different. |
I Use a Fan During the Hottest Part of Summer
During hot summer weather, I run a fan so that air moves across the surface of the water.
Moving air across the surface encourages evaporation, which can help remove some heat from the water.
But I've learned not to expect miracles from it.
Even with the fan running, my tank can still reach around 29–30°C during the hottest days of summer.
Outside the peak summer heat, I usually see temperatures closer to 28–29°C.
So for me, using a fan isn't something I do and then forget about.
I still check the thermometer.
| My summer terrapin setup. I run the fan above the tank to move air across the water surface during hot weather. |
| I keep a simple thermometer where I can easily check it. During the hottest summer days, my tank can approach 30°C even with a fan running. |
The Number Isn't the Only Thing I Watch
This is something I've gradually learned from keeping terrapins.
A thermometer gives me useful information, but it doesn't tell me everything.
I also watch what the terrapins are actually doing.
Are they swimming normally?
Are they resting more than usual?
Are they interested in food?
Are they spending much more time in one particular part of the tank?
I don't immediately assume that one unusual moment means something is wrong.
Instead, I've started paying more attention to changes from each terrapin's normal behavior.
For me, that's been much more useful.
| One of my terrapins came over while I was trying to photograph the thermometer. Apparently temperature checks require supervision. |
Four Terrapins, Four Personalities
One of my favorite things about keeping four terrapins is realizing how different they can be.
One may swim around constantly.
Another may stay in one place for much longer.
Some immediately notice me when I approach the tank, while another seems completely uninterested in whatever I'm doing.
When I was less experienced, these differences sometimes made me worry.
"Why isn't this one moving as much as the others?"
Over time, I've learned that comparing one terrapin directly with another isn't always very helpful.
What catches my attention now is when one of them suddenly behaves differently from its own usual pattern.
Having four of them in the same tank actually made this easier to notice.
Warm Water Also Makes Me Think About the Whole Tank
Temperature isn't the only thing I keep an eye on during summer.
Four terrapins can make a surprising amount of mess.
So filtration, water condition, feeding, and the general state of the tank are things I pay attention to as well.
I've learned that looking after a terrapin tank isn't really about finding one perfect number and then forgetting about everything else.
It's more about watching the whole environment.
And I'm still learning.
That's probably one of the interesting things about keeping them.
You solve one little problem, and then notice something else you never thought about before.
| This face is one of the reasons I probably spend more time looking at the aquarium than I should. |
What I Do Now
My summer routine is actually pretty simple.
During hot weather, I run a fan across the water surface and keep a thermometer somewhere I can easily see it.
But most importantly, I watch the terrapins themselves.
The thermometer tells me what the water is doing.
The terrapins tell me the rest.
After living with them for a while, I've realized that this is one of the parts I enjoy most — learning their little habits and gradually noticing when something changes.
I'm not trying to create the world's most complicated turtle setup.
I'm just trying to understand the four little animals living in front of me a little better.
If you keep terrapins or aquatic turtles at home, I'm curious:
How warm does your tank get during summer, and what do you do when the water gets too warm?
— Jerrad
Comments
Post a Comment